Cibulkova Captures WTA Title in Carlsbad
Greenville, SC — Slovakian WTA Tour star Dominika Cibulkova continued her run of stellar play in 2012 with a win in Carlsbad, California on Sunday in the Mercury Insurance Open. She took out top-seeded Marion Bartoli of France 6-1, 7-5 in the hour and a half final. Following her win, Cibulkova bypassed nearby Disneyland, and instead opted for a ride down a waterslide (while still wearing her tennis outfit) at the La Costa resort where the tournament was played.
The win moves ‘Domi’ up to 13th in the WTA rankings, just one spot off her highest position ever. “Today I played well all through the match,” said Cibulkova. And that she did; she fired winners throughout the encounter with her Dunlop Biomimetic 600 Lite, stunning Bartoli in the first set, and then rallying in the second to capture the crown. “I’ve changed my coach recently, and I’m more relaxed on the court,” said the 23 year old Slovakian.
“Dominika’s level of play has been phenomenal this entire season, on all surfaces,” said Kai Nitsche, V.P. and General Manager of Dunlop Sports Group Americas. “She’s one of the stars of our Tour Team, and we look forward to seeing her at the U.S. Open a month from now.”
Verdasco Wins Doubles Title in Hamburg
Dunlop’s Fernando Verdasco won for the fourth time this season alongside Spanish compatriot David Marrero in Hamburg Sunday. The duo teamed up to beat Rogerio Dutra Silva and Daniel Munoz-De La Nava 6-4, 6-3 on the red clay. Verdasco, who plays the Biomimetic 300, is making a run at competing in doubles at the ATP World Tour Finals; he and Marrero rest at 11th in rankings (the top eight teams go).
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- ITHF mourns the loss of Gene Mako
- USPTA, Emirates Airline US Open Series collaborate
- Ashaway continues as Official String of USA Racquetball
- Tennis Buying Show to be held in Orlando, FL
- Tonic named official partner of So Cal Open
- Tickets to the US Open go on sale Monday
- Djokovic/Nadal semi-final to air live on Tennis Channel
- T2Tennis and Ultimate Tennis Merge
- Evert presented Hall of Fame ring on ESPN2
- Noah presented Hall of Fame ring at Roland Garros