Statement regarding Serena's code violation
Serena Williams was issued a code violation for verbal abuse by Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki at the conclusion of the first game of the second set during the US Open women’s singles final vs. Samantha Stosur.
Tournament Referee Brian Earley is presently reviewing this incident on tape and also will have further discussions with the chair umpire to determine whether this code violation will result in a fine, and, if so, the level of that fine. The decision regarding this matter will be issued tomorrow.
Any impact this code violation might have on Serena Williams’ Grand Slam probation would require the incident being ruled a major event. That determination will be made by the Grand Slam Committee Director.
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- Tennis Channel coverage of French Open starts May 26
- How to volley like the pros
- TRX, TIA partner to launch TRX Cardio Tennis
- USTA and ESPN announce comprehensive partnership
- Gamma's new 60 Orange Dot and 78 Green Dot balls
- Laver to be honored with Eugene L. Scott Award
- Tennis Channel celebrates first decade with special
- Scheneiderman joins Tennis Channel
- Hewitt to play HoF Championships in July
- Venus and Roddick join WTT ownership