Almagro and Melzer win ATP titles
GREENVILLE, SC — For the second week running the Dunlop Tour Team has raised an ATP trophy in triumph. Last week Tommy Robredo won in Chile, while this weekend both Nicolas Almagro and Jurgen Melzer won titles. The Spaniard won the singles crown in Brazil, while the Austrian took the doubles title in Rotterdam.
Almagro, who plays with the Biomimetic 500 Tour (to be released in March), won for the second time in the beautiful coastal town of Costa do Sauipe. In fact, in three of the past four years, a Dunlop player has won the tournament; in 2009 Tommy Robredo took the title. This year, ‘Nico’ used his consistent groundstrokes and powerful serve to knock out the 4th seed Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3, 7-6 (3). Throughout the week Almagro dropped only one set on his way to the title.
Meanwhile in Rotterdam, Jurgen Melzer (Biomimetic 300 Tour) and partner Philipp Petzschner won their third ATP World Tour doubles title in overcoming Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic 6-3, 3-6, 10-5. Melzer and Petzschner, who appeared together in the ATP World Tour Finals last year in London, have forged a potent partnership; in addition to this ATP 250 Title, they’ve now won a major (Wimbledon ) and a Masters Series event (Shanghai) in just over a year.
“These wins add more momentum for Dunlop and our Tour Team,” said Kai Nitsche, Dunlop’s Vice President of Racket Sports. “It’s a big week for Biomimetic rackets; not only did they notch their second and third wins, but the new 200 and 200 Lite rackets are hitting stores Thursday. We’re also very happy to see Nicolas Almagro’s success with his new Biomimetic 500 Tour, in advance of its release in March. ”
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- ITHF mourns the loss of Gene Mako
- USPTA, Emirates Airline US Open Series collaborate
- Ashaway continues as Official String of USA Racquetball
- Tennis Buying Show to be held in Orlando, FL
- Tonic named official partner of So Cal Open
- Tickets to the US Open go on sale Monday
- Djokovic/Nadal semi-final to air live on Tennis Channel
- T2Tennis and Ultimate Tennis Merge
- Evert presented Hall of Fame ring on ESPN2
- Noah presented Hall of Fame ring at Roland Garros