U.S. Fed Cup Rallies to Defeat Russia
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The U.S. Fed Cup team rallied to defeat Russia, 3-2, in the 2010 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas semifinals Sunday at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena and earned the right to host defending champion Italy in the Fed Cup Final, Nov. 6-7 at a site to be determined by the USTA. It is the first time that the U.S. will host the Fed Cup Final since 2000, which is also the last year the U.S. won the event.
The U.S. advanced to the Fed Cup Final for the second consecutive year under Captain Mary Joe Fernandez, who took over duties last year. It is the first time the U.S. has reached consecutive Fed Cup Finals since winning in 1999 and 2000.
Playing at home for the first time in her Fed Cup career, Bethanie Mattek-Sands became the first American to win consecutive matches on the final day to lead the U.S. to victory. With the U.S. trailing 1-2, Mattek-Sands defeated Ekaterina Makarova, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 then teamed with Liezel Huber to defeat Elena Dementieva and Alla Kudryavtseva in the decisive doubles match, 6-3, 6-1. Melanie Oudin defeated Kudryavtseva Saturday in the opening match to give the U.S a 1-0 lead.
The 2010 Fed Cup Final will be a rematch against Italy, who defeated the U.S., 4-0, on a red clay court in Reggio Calabria, to win the event for the second time. The U.S. has won the Fed Cup a record 17 times.
The USTA will select the site for the 2010 Fed Cup Final with plans to announce the venue in mid-June, pending approval from the ITF. Information about the bid process and an RFP can be found at usta.com/fedcup. Parties interested in bidding to host the 2010 Fed Cup final should submit a letter of intent to the USTA by May 17. The deadline for submitting a final bid to the USTA is June 4.
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- ITHF mourns the loss of Gene Mako
- USPTA, Emirates Airline US Open Series collaborate
- Ashaway continues as Official String of USA Racquetball
- Tennis Buying Show to be held in Orlando, FL
- Tonic named official partner of So Cal Open
- Tickets to the US Open go on sale Monday
- Djokovic/Nadal semi-final to air live on Tennis Channel
- T2Tennis and Ultimate Tennis Merge
- Evert presented Hall of Fame ring on ESPN2
- Noah presented Hall of Fame ring at Roland Garros