ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championship to Take Place
SKILLMAN, N.J. — The nation’s top men’s and women’s collegiate tennis players will be competing in the ITA National Indoor Championships starting Thursday, November 5. This year’s event is hosted by Yale University and will take place November 5-8 at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Conn. The ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Tennis Championships are the second of three national tournaments for singles and doubles during the collegiate tennis season.
These championships feature a 32-player singles field and 16-team doubles field for men and women, including: champions from Wilson/ITA Regional Championships held across the country during October, the ITA National Small College champions, the winners of the D’Novo/ITA Men’s All-American Tennis Championships and Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships, and at-large and wild card selections made by the ITA National Tournament Committee.
“The ITA is thrilled that our ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Singles and Doubles Championships will be the first National collegiate tennis championship ever hosted by Yale University,” said Executive Director, David A Benjamin. “We’ve heard wonderful things about the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center and know that all of our varsity student-athletes are looking forward greatly to participating in this event.”
The participants of the 2009 championships included some of the best and brightest players in college tennis. The top eight men’s and women’s singles seeds for this week’s championships are as follows:
J.P. Smith - Tennessee Oleksandr Nedovyesov - Oklahoma State Robert Farah - USC Andrei Daescu - Oklahoma Steve Johnson - USC Dimitar Kutrovsky - Texas Sanam Singh - Virginia Bradley Klahn - Stanford
Maria Mosolova - Northwestern Irina Falconi - Georgia Tech Chelsey Gullickson - Georgia Jana Juricova - California Caitlin Whoriskey - Tennessee Allie Will - Florida Denise Dy - Washington Venise Chan - Washington
The top four doubles seeds for this week’s championships are as follows:
- J.P. Smith/Davey Sandgren - Tennessee
- Oleksandr Nedovyesov/Aleksey Bessonov - Oklahoma State
- Ryan Thacher/Bradley Klahn - Stanford
- Moritz Baumann/Marek Michalicka - Wisconsin
- Caitlin Whoriskey/Natalie Pluskota - Tennessee
- Hilary Barte/Lindsay Burdette - Stanford
- Mari Andersson/Jana Juricova - California
- Andrea Remynse/Yasmin Schnack - UCLA
This event was inaugurated in 1978 for the men and 1984 for the women and past champions and finalists include current professionals Benjamin Becker (Baylor), James Blake (Harvard), Bob and Mike Bryan (Stanford), Laura Granville (Stanford), John Isner (Georgia), Kevin Kim (UCLA), and Lisa Raymond (Florida). Big Ten legends and Grand Slam finalists Todd Martin (Northwestern) and MaliVai Washington (Michigan) are also among the past champions.
Schedule of Play:
Thurs, Nov. 5 - 1st Round Doubles and 1st Round Singles Fri., Nov. 6 - QF Doubles and 2nd Round and QF Singles Sat., Nov. 7 - SF Doubles and Singles Sun., Nov. 8 - Championship Matches
Mandatory consolation draws for first round losers (consolation starts on Friday, consolation draws are redrawn and reseeded).
Doubles are played first.
Matches will begin at 9:00 a.m. on November 5th.
For complete coverage of the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships, visit www.ITAtennis.com.
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- ITHF mourns the loss of Gene Mako
- USPTA, Emirates Airline US Open Series collaborate
- Ashaway continues as Official String of USA Racquetball
- Tennis Buying Show to be held in Orlando, FL
- Tonic named official partner of So Cal Open
- Tickets to the US Open go on sale Monday
- Djokovic/Nadal semi-final to air live on Tennis Channel
- T2Tennis and Ultimate Tennis Merge
- Evert presented Hall of Fame ring on ESPN2
- Noah presented Hall of Fame ring at Roland Garros