Kemp Crowned Atlanta Open Champion
RESULTS: Atlanta Open Squash Championship, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Final:  Jonathan Kemp (ENG) bt  Eric Galvez (MEX) 11-4, 11-5, 13-15, 11-3 (50m)
England’s Jonathan Kemp celebrated his fourth successive PSA World Tour final appearance in North America in grand style when he defeated defending champion Eric Galvez in four games to claim the Atlanta Open crown at the Concourse Athletic Club in Atlanta, USA.
The in-form left-hander from Halifax in Yorkshire reached the final of the $10,000 squash event in its tenth year without dropping a game.
Kemp, currently ranked 31 in the world, was in full control in the first two games and soon reached match-ball at 10-8 in the third. But second seed Galvez, who became the first Mexican to win the title last year, came back with some big winners to take the game 15-13.
But the top-seeded Englishman got off to a good start in the fourth and Galvez, still feeling the effects of the previous game, was unable to keep the momentum going.
Kemp conceded just three further points before claiming the match 11-4, 11-5, 13-15, 11-3 after 50 minutes to become the third Englishman (after Nick Matthew in 2001 and Bradley Ball the following year) win the Atlanta Open title.
The win marks Kemp’s second successive PSA title triumph in the USA, his third of the year and the eighth of his career.
Follow the action from the PSA World Tour live on WWW.PSALIVE.TV - the Professional Squash Association’s official webstreaming service. Enjoy live action, replays, download archive matches and enjoy exclusive Live & Uncut DVDs
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- TRX, TIA partner to launch TRX Cardio Tennis
- USTA and ESPN announce comprehensive partnership
- Gamma's new 60 Orange Dot and 78 Green Dot balls
- Laver to be honored with Eugene L. Scott Award
- Tennis Channel celebrates first decade with special
- Scheneiderman joins Tennis Channel
- Hewitt to play HoF Championships in July
- Venus and Roddick join WTT ownership
- Paola Longoria captures season title
- Tennis Channel statement on the passing of Drewett