Prince Adds New Performance String and Grips to 2009 Product Line
Bordentown, New Jersey — While ground-breaking news like the recent introduction of the Prince EXO3 racquet line tends to steal the spotlight when it comes to new product offerings, there is the rare instance when new string and grips can make a significant impact on the tennis market. For Prince, 2009 will see major changes in its string and grip categories — the introduction of proprietary high-performance technologies and production processes in both categories, combined with a global packaging and segmentation re-fresh will give players a new look and easy-to-follow choices when it comes to finding the right accessories. After all, it has been noted that while having the right racquet is crucial for on-court success, managing and maintaining the right string and grip can, in many cases, be the difference between winning and losing.
“What we have brought to market this year has the potential to make a significant impact on the string and grip landscape,” said John Embree, President of Prince Sports. “In addition to introducing new products with high-performance features in a revamped packaging, we have taken the steps necessary to re-organize our segmentation which will make it easier for players to find the perfect product for their game.”
“We took a good, long look at the current string market and made some decisions that will turn heads in terms of elevating each segments’ performance and put the consumer at the center when it comes to finding the right string and grip,” said Dave Malinowski, Global Business Director for Strings, Grips, Machines and Bags at Prince. “We are fortunate to have the hottest new line of racquets in the game with EXO3 — providing us the perfect vehicles to introduce players and coaches to our new performance string and grip offerings.
The NEW Prince string segmentations will classify product in the following four distinct series:
Ultimate Series: Top of the line premium products; flagship technologies
- Natural Gut — Top of the line Natural Gut featuring a NEW wear-resistant coating to deliver increased durability, resistance to humidity and moisture, while still achieving the perfect combination of power, comfort, control and feel.
- Recoil 16 — Groundbreaking high-end string featuring the proprietary Gore MicroWeb technology which coats the string and delivers precise string re-alignment after every shot! Designed for players seeking maximum spin in a string that plays better longer, Recoil will be the recommended string for the NEW EXO3 Graphite racquets.
Playability Series: Multi-filament strings that are softer, easier on the arm in mid to upper price points
- Premier LT — A revolutionary NEW multi-filament process that aligns the inner fibers freely in parallel so each microfiber can act individually. This, combined with a special polyamide coating, allows the string to play with incredible comfort, control and feel — very close to natural gut. Premier LT is the recommended string for the EXO3 Red 105 and EXO3 Silver 118.
Endurance Series: Taking durability to a new level of performance through the use of a new co-extrusion technology which allows Prince to combine different poly materials in any percentage combinations to make the perfect string for the serious player’s needs.
- Poly EXP — This NEW string takes nine islands of soft polyester as nine micro-cores and surrounds them with firm polyester to provide a string that is powerful yet significantly easier on the arm. Poly EXP has 50% less shock, 10% more power and 20% more tension maintenance compared to the current leading strings on the market.
- Twisted — You’ll know the NEW Twisted string when you see it! Twisted takes coextrusion performance technology and has fun with it by creating a string that has two distinct colors throughout. The result is a fun looking string that delivers the performance players demand from a poly.
- Hybrid Power EXP — This new hybrid takes Prince’s #1 playing multi-filament, Premier LT (16 gauge) in the cross strings and combines it with Poly EXP (17 gauge) in the main strings to create the ideal combination of power, durability and control. This set up is the recommended string for the EXO3 Rebel 95 and EXO3 Rebel Team 95.
- Hybrid Spin EXP — The same great combinations of string, but with Premier LT (17 gauge) in the cross and Poly EXP (18 gauge) in the mains to create the ONLY thin-gauge hybrid on the market. This allows players looking for ultimate spin the ability to generate significantly more “bite” and ball rotation. The result is sharper angles and more balls to falling into the court.
All-Around Series: Developed for players looking for balance between playability, durability and cost.
- This segment includes Prince Topspin, Synthetic Gut with Duraflex and Lightning — three of the best selling strings in tennis — including the #1 string (Synthetic Gut with Duraflex). In their new-look packaging, these strings will continue to be dominant players in the market.
“Similar to our approach with strings, 2009 will see some of our most advanced grip technologies to date — three of which will be paired with models in the new EXO3 line,” said Malinowski. “From tip to grip, players will be able to outfit themselves with the best products to complement their racquets.”
Here is a look at some of the new/featured Grips for 2009:
- Premium Leather — The iconic, classic calfskin leather grip is back! Found on the NEW EXO3 Graphite, this classic feel provides perfect feedback and control for players who like to feel the bevels of the grip.
- ResiPro — A breakthrough, high-friction, low tack surface feel provides players with a dry, textured replacement grip that is the first to grab you back! This combined with new micro-perforations, creates a grip that will outlast any competition. Resi Pro is the grip found on the new EXO3 Rebel 95, EXO3 Rebel 95 Team and EXO3 Red 105 racquets.
- ResiSoft — A softer, more cushioned replacement grip utilizing a unique, high friction, low tack surface with added cushion for comfort and shock absorption. The perfect grip for the EXO3 Silver 118.
- MicroSplat — Microsplat uses a new polyurethane splash to create colorful, funky overgrip design that, unlike other colorful overgrips, does not sacrifice tack, is absorbent and provides great feel for the player. Available in three colors.
- DuraDry+ — Designed for the most particular players looking for maximum absorbency in a dry overgrip, DuraDry+ has a rayon core which quickly distributes moisture away from the surface.
|Natural Gut||Ultimate||16 and 17||Natural||Jan. 2009|
|Recoil||Ultimate||16 and 17||White||Jan. 2009|
|Premier LT||Playability||16 and 17||Natural||Jan. 2009|
|Poly EXP||Endurance||16, 17 and 18||Optic Yellow||Jan. 2009|
|Twisted||Endurance||16L||Black/White, Black/Yellow, Blue White||Jan. 2009|
|Hybrid Power EXP||Endurance||17/16||Optic Yellow & Natural||Jan. 2009|
|Hybrid Spin EXP||Endurance||18/17||Optic Yellow & Natural||Jan. 2009|
|Premium Leather||Replacement||Tan/Calfskin||1/package; 6/box||Jan. 2009|
|ResiPro||Replacement||Black/Silver, Black/Yellow||1/package, 12/box||Jan. 2009|
|ResiSoft||Replacement||Black/Silver||1/package; 12/box||Jan. 2009|
|MicroSplat||Overgrip||Blue, Yellow, Green||3/package; 12/box; 56/jar||Jan. 2009|
|DuraDry+||Overgrip||Charcoal||3/package; 12/box||Jan. 2009|
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- TRX, TIA partner to launch TRX Cardio Tennis
- USTA and ESPN announce comprehensive partnership
- Gamma's new 60 Orange Dot and 78 Green Dot balls
- Laver to be honored with Eugene L. Scott Award
- Tennis Channel celebrates first decade with special
- Scheneiderman joins Tennis Channel
- Hewitt to play HoF Championships in July
- Venus and Roddick join WTT ownership
- Paola Longoria captures season title
- Tennis Channel statement on the passing of Drewett