New Surface for the Australian Open
Andover, MA — Tennis Australia announced the selection of Plexicushion Prestige as the Surface of the Australian Open. The decision was made after an extended review process which focused on the upgrade of Melbourne Park and a broader program focusing on the upgrade of tennis facilities throughout Australia. Removal of the old surface began on June 4, 2007. The Plexicushion surface will be supplied and installed by Wm. Loud (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. of Melbourne. The construction will be completed in time for the 2008 tournament. Lead up tournaments in Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East will also convert their facilities to Plexicushion. The worldwide network of Plexipave contractors will insure consistency at all events.
The key advantages leading to the change were:
- Plexicushion Prestige is a cushioned acrylic surface with a worldwide reputation for consistency, comfort and durability.
- Plexicushion System products are available throughout Australia and the world through Authorized Applicators.
- Plexicushion is known for delivering uniform bounce, speed of play from court to court and site to site. The medium pace allows players to train for all aspects of the game.
- The shock absorbing properties of Plexicushion are engineered to allow players to play “on the court” not “in the court.”
Plexicushion Prestige is classified by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) as a Category 2 speed of play. The Australian Open will have a unique pace to meet the demands of the professional players.
RSI.com News search
Latest RSI.com News
- TRX, TIA partner to launch TRX Cardio Tennis
- USTA and ESPN announce comprehensive partnership
- Gamma's new 60 Orange Dot and 78 Green Dot balls
- Laver to be honored with Eugene L. Scott Award
- Tennis Channel celebrates first decade with special
- Scheneiderman joins Tennis Channel
- Hewitt to play HoF Championships in July
- Venus and Roddick join WTT ownership
- Paola Longoria captures season title
- Tennis Channel statement on the passing of Drewett